Red imported fire ants carry venom, which is injected into the victim with its stinger. The poison (95% alkaloid) has a potent neurotoxic activity, and the venom is responsible for the pain and any white pustules which form following the sting (approximately one day later). The other 5% of the venom produces an allergic reaction in some very sensitive individuals because of its composition of proteins, peptides, and other small molecules.
When worker fire ants attach themselves to your skin, they do so with their mandibles (jaws) and then lower the tips of their stingers into your skin which injects the venom. Essentially, you can be bitten and stung by the same worker ant.
It is important to note that the same worker ant can sting you multiple times (unlike some other insects which sting once and die). The sting of a fire ant may result in a painful reaction including itching, burning, red swelling, nausea, dizziness, severe headache, and scars at the sting sites. While the bite of only one pest may not be devastating for your health, repeated stings from a swarm of them can cause serious damage to your body.
For the health and safety of you, your family, and your pets, it is important that you stop fire ant activity before it gets out of control by hiring experts in the extermination of fire ant infestations who are knowledgeable of the most effective treatment methods available and can provide you the fire ant control service you need.